Federal government is finally all prepared to appoint three members of Pakistan Telecommunication Authority, sources familiar with the matter confirmed ProPakistani.
For the purpose candidates were interviewed for the slots of Member Finance, Member Technical and Member Compliance as per job advertisement published on June 14th, 2013.
If sources are to be believed then selection commission has finalized three names to be sent to cabinet division for approvals before the final appointment are to be made by Prime Minister next Monday after his return from USA visit.
Unconfirmed reports suggest that commission has recommended Mr. Kamran Ali as Member Compliance, Mr. Tariq Sultan as Member Finance while Mr. Mushtaq Bhatti is to be made the Member Technical.
Mr. Kamran, currently the Member Legal at Ministry of Information Technology has previously served at PTA as DG law. Mr. Tariq Sultan is currently the DG Finance at PTA.
One members out of three members – supposedly the member technical – is to be made the Chairman after the proper appointments.
It merits mentioning here that Lahore High Court had dismissed the June 14th job ad for members’ PTA, however, shortlisted candidates were interviewed last week at PTA headquarters after Supreme Court directed the federal government to appoint PTA Members till Sep 16th, 2013 – despite LHC’s dismissal – based on the same job ad.
Appointment of PTA members has been challenged in the courts several times. Government had to advertise the job thrice before Supreme Court finally ordered the government to speed up the process for appointment of members.
Analysts fear that current appointments may also face litigation as government increased the number of members from two to three through a SRO and not through a proper amendment in Telecom Act.
Others hope a smooth transition and appointments so that the industry is again put on the roll after a break of over eight months.
For the reference, here’s the timeline for the happenings regarding the appointment of PTA members:
- January 15th, 2013: LHC removed Farooq Awan from PTA Chairmanship
- January 30th, 2013: Vacancy Announced for Member Technical and Finance at PTA
- February 14th, 2013: Government Advertises for the Jobs of Three PTA Members for the 2nd Time
- February 22nd, 2013: Member Finance, PTA, Completed His Service Term
- March 1st, 2013: Wahaj-us-Siraj (CEO Nayatel) Challenged the 2nd Advertisement, IHC Tied Appointment of Members PTA to Final Judgment
- March 4th, 2013: Farooq Awan Appointed as Member Finance of PTA Despite LHC Orders
- March 7th, 2013: LHC Restrained Farooq Awan From Duty as Member Finance
- March 18th, 2013: Farooq Awan Removed as Member Finance of PTA
- April 1st, 2013: IHC Directed Cabinet Division to Appoint PTA Members Based on First Advertisement Only
- June 14th, 2013: Cabinet Division Advertised the Jobs for PTA Members for 3rd time
- July 4th, 2013: 3rd advertisement for Appointment of PTA Members Challenged in LHC
- July 17th, 2013: 3rd Advertisement gets Suspended by LHC
- Sep 03, 2013: Appoint Chairman PTA in 15 Days, Auction 3G Licenses in 60 Days: Supreme Court
- Sep 17th, 2013: SC Rejects Govt’s Request, Orders to Appoint PTA Chairman in Just 10 Days
The post Govt is Finally All Set to Appoint PTA Members appeared first on .